I feel like I've been stuck in a slump the past few months just making the same things over and over again. I forgot about making sushi until a few weeks ago and I've had it 3 times now. It's SO easy to make and you can put literally anything you want in it.
I like to use what I have on hand and most of the time I go with avocado, bell pepper, carrot, and cucumber. I like to julien everything so it's easier to roll up. I do have a sushi mat but you can use plastic wrap to assist you and make less of a mess.
You can use any rice but I happened to buy sushi/sticky rice. If you don't have sticky rice you can mix in rice vinegar and sugar to assist in making it sticky.
- Cook your rice according to package instructions and let it cool to at least room temperature
- Put your nori (seaweed) on your plastic wrap and spread out about 1 cup of cooked and cooled rice. Spread it to each edge sideways but leave 1 inch at both the top and bottom edges
- Add your fillings in a 1 inch stack. You can go a bit spread out but try to stack more than let it spread out**
- KEEP IN MIND if you add too much you're going to have a hard time rolling it up
- Carefully roll the edge of the nori closest to you and fold it over and under the fillings and continue rolling it until it's all rolled up
- Gently 'hug' the roll to set everything together and so it holds its shape
- Stuff might be falling out the sides so I just use the flat side of a knife to jam it back in
- Move the roll to a cutting board if not already on one and use a sharp knife to cut it into pieces
- If you're having a hard time cutting it make sure your knife is sharp enough or try running the knife under water between cuts
- Enjoy it with soy sauce, wasabi, pickled ginger, or whatever accompaniments you like to eat with your sushi
Hopefully I remember to take pictures next time I make it haha! Bone apple teeth!